Wednesday 19 January 2011

Still searching for the elusive Chipotle

Tried Sainsburys this time but still no sign of the elusive Chipotle Chillies which have previously featured on the Giraffe ingreedients list and did so again today in Smoked Haddock & Salmon Fishcakes with Chipotle Veggie Slaw - Page 126.  Not liking the inclusion of difficult/impossible to find things - thats chipotle chilli and mouli that I'm on the hunt for now.  Please let me know if and where you spot them!

So on with the fishcakes...  I was in a bit of a rush to make these which wasn't a good start as it meant the mash and fish were still warm when I was trying to make the cakes.  Would have been much easier to work with if I'd planned ahead a bit and been able to let the mix cool and/or let the formed fishcakes cool before cooking.  Again I used my trusty Burger Maker from Lakeland to form the cakes - I got 9 from the mix. (and have 2 left to have with a poached egg for my breakfast tomorrow!)

Clearly my Chipotle Slaw wasn't ever going to live up to its name given the elusive vital ingreedient.  So I kinda gave up on their whole coleslaw recipie and did my own thang with mayo, cabbage, carrots, iceberg, corriander and bog standard red chilli.  I did add a splash of  the specified Worcestershire Sauce which gave it a nice kick.


The instructions said to saute the cakes until just browned then finish off in the oven for 20 mins to heat through.  I just cooked them completely in the frying pan which worked just fine.  Some did fall apart/crack a wee bit as a result of the lack of cooling. Girl cleared her plate and asked me to make them again - clearly she didn't even contemplate trying the coleslaw but had hers with baked beans and her own special mixture of mayo/ketchup/BBQ sauce!  Boy and Mr made suitably appreciative noises.  I thought they were a bit middle of the road.  Quite heavy on the lemon and sweetcorn but I could be co-erced into making them again.

I feel a wee bit guilty about doing a recipie with both salmon and cod having watched and been shocked by Hugh's Fish Fight last week.  If you watched you'll already know that Half of all the fish caught in the North Sea are thrown back overboard DEAD.  This is an insane waste so please sign up to help try and stop it http://www.fishfight.net/  In my own personal defence I was inspired by HFW to cook Mackerel for the first time ever last night and will definately be doing so again.  Give this recipie a try Devilled Mackerel with Potatoes & Spinach its nicer and less faf than the fishcakes!

3 comments:

  1. http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getSearchProducts.do?clearTabs=yes&entry=Chipotle

    maybe you can use a tabsco sauce/discovery paste as shown here at Ocado?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!!! Me again! I have been curious about the mouli radish. Maybe you could find it in an Asian grocery store rather than Sainsburys etc?

    Failing that, maybe we can grow our own! I am wondering how this radish compares to the regular pinky ones we usually buy.

    http://midorisgreen.blogspot.com/2008/11/thinning-out-mouli-radish.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog today after looking at the cookbook on Amazon. I realise you may not still be after chipotle chillies by now, but I get mine from here http://www.capsicana.co.uk/products/dried-chillies/chipotle
    If you've not tried them before, they have a really lovely mild smoky flavour. I put them in veggie chilli.

    ReplyDelete