Monday 17 January 2011

Marinate overnight if possible - doh!

I should really read recipies more carefully beforehand as this isn't the first (and will undoubtedly not be the last) time that I get caught out with this. Oh well the Grilled Chicken Tacos with Fresh Orange Salsa - Page 103 - had nearly 2 hours of marinating time.  I'm sure thats overnight in some time zone. 

The marinade called for chipotle chillies and Tesco didn't have them - apparently they have a more gentle smokey flavour.  Will keep an eye out for them for future but for now bog standard red chilli.  As for the salsa it called for an orange seperated into segments.  Now me and segmenting oranges clearly don't go and I now have a fetching Peppa Pig plaster on my middle finger - cut finger & citrus juice & chilli - OUCH!  Even Peppa & George aren't managing to kiss it better.  If only it were as simple as the tap and unwrap of Terry's.  There's none of that pith and membrane when Dawn French tucks in.

So here's the finished article. There was supposed to be gucamole in the bottom of the taco (but I didn't make any/forgot/couldn't be bothered) then iceberg, then chicken, then salsa.  Girl had taco and chicken (with the bits of chilli picked off).  Boy refused the salsa but ate the rest. Mr ate it all (he knows which side his bread is buttered on)



Not sure I'd bother making it again.  Chicken itself was nice - basically marinaded in OJ, honey, chilli, S&P then grilled.  But the salsa wasn't all that special although the oranges did cut nicely through the chilli - or perhaps that was the blood!  Gucamole might have helped - seemed a bit dry. I served it with Jamie Olivers Rice & Peas from the 30 minute meals book. Its quickly become one of my staple side dishes and the leftovers are fab cold - it I will be making again and again.

3 comments:

  1. well, it certainly sounds interesting!
    Barbara
    sparklessimplestuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy but I can't make up my mind about the rice and peas/beans. Just doesn't appeal colour-wise. Nothing to do with your cooking obv.

    BTW and totally off topic, but where did you get your taco holder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another name for rice & peas is "Dirty Rice" and its certainly rather grey but if you can get over that it tastes great. I had the leftover cold rice mixed with the leftover salsa for my packed lunch today and it was really good. I think the salsa benefited from a night in the fridge to allow the flavours to develop.

    The Taco holder is rather ancient at least 15 years old! I'm pretty sure it was from back in the days when Boots had a cookshop. Not sure where you'd get one - John Lewis perhaps?

    ReplyDelete