Wednesday 23 February 2011

Tuna without mayonnaise?!

When I picked Grilled Tuna Skewers with Yakitori style dip and Pea shoot salad - Page 35 as one of my recipes for this week I didn't quite realise just how expensive fresh tuna was - just shy of £10 for enough to make this dish.  I swithered in the supermarket but crossed my fingers as it was scanned through the till that this Giraffe would be worth it. 

Had an interesting conversation with boy whilst preparing it as when I explained what it was he assumed that if this was fresh tuna what comes in a can must be dried tuna - close but no cigar.  The dish itself was very straightforward to make however I saw straight away that there was going to be way too much yakitori.  I halved the quantities but could have easily quartered them as there was a lot wasted.



Instructions said to grill for 1 minute on each side, I should have followed this but thought they looked a bit underdone so gave them longer but in retrospect they would have been better pinker.  I served with the prescribed pea shoots, but also brown rice and stir fried veg and the skewers themselves sprinkled with sesame and black onion seeds.  Another one without a photo for guidance but I reckon mine looked pretty good.

Boy took one bite of the tuna and declared that I must make them again!  Me and Mr pretty much aggreed with him as it was indeed delicious and very filling with the brown rice and veggies.  Had never tried pea shoots before despite seeing them feature a lot on Masterchef.  A definate pea flavour to them but not many in a bag for £1.  Will definatly be keeping an eye out in the reduced section for any yellow stickied fresh tuna.  Girl suggested that if I was indeed ever making them again could she just have proper tuna, with some mayonnaise please.


3 comments:

  1. You know I recon tuna is so tricky to cook, we don;t buy it very often, but when we do I always overdo it. And I've heard a lot of folk in the past order in restuarants to try and be disappointed at how dry it is. This sounds absolutely scrummy though!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. Loiving your blog! Have just purchased the Giraffe cookbook and think I might try this recipe out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubbles17 - Do please let me know how you get on with any of the recipies I have tried.

    ReplyDelete